Diwali word has been derived from Deepavali which in turn is formed by dipa + avali (row). Hence, Diwali (Deepavali) is a line or a row of lamps. During Diwali, lamps are lit everywhere. Diwali is celebrated on four consecutive days - the thirteenth day (Dhanatrayodashi), the fourteenth day (Narak chaturdashi) and the new moon day (amavasya) [Lakshmipujan] of the dark fortnight of Ashvin and the first day of the bright fortnight of Kartik (Balipratipada). Some exclude the thirteenth and consider only the remaining three days as Diwali. Since Vasubaras and Bhaubij respectively precede and follow Diwali, they are included in it. However in reality they are separate holy festivals.
This year various days of Diwali fall on :
1. Govatsa Dwadashi (Vasubaras) - 10 November 2012
2. Dhantrayodashi (Dhanteras) - 11 November 2012
3. Narak Chaturdashi - 13 November 2012
4. Lakshmipujan - 13 November 2012
5. Bali Pratipada - 14 November 2012
6. Bhaiduj (Yamadwitiya) - 15 November 2012
To know the importance of various days of Diwali, please click here
Spiritual meaning of Diwali : By killing the demon Narkasur, Shrikrushna freed people from an attitude of indulgence in worldly pleasures, jealousy, unrighteousness and negative attitudes, and made them happy by giving thoughts of God alone (or Divine thoughts), which is what Diwali is all about.
We have been celebrating Diwali year after year merely as a custom. Today, the festival has lost its true meaning. If after comprehending this hidden meaning our knowledge is kindled, then the ignorance in the form of darkness will reduce. Also, domination of people with demoniacal tendencies (of enjoying worldly pleasures and indulging in unrighteous attitudes) over the righteous will reduce.
To know the Spiritual Science behind Diwali and how to celebrate it, please click here
1. Physical: Burns, deafness. Many people die in explosions in factories manufacturing fire-crackers. Sometimes, rocket-crackers set fire to huts, heap of dry grass etc.
2. Economic: Terrorists in Pakistan collect funds from people in the name of ‘Jihad’ (Religious War), saying they will purchase bullets to kill ‘Kafirs’ (non-believers). The cost of each bullet is Rs.10/-. With the situation so grim and also because the nation is on the brink of insolvency, it is a sin to burn crores of Rupees on bursting fire-crackers every year.
3. Spiritual: Devotional songs (Aarti) or sattvic sounds attract Divine energies and deities. But noise from crackers, full of ‘tama’ component, attract distressing energies. This is what we are witnessing today in the country. The Tama-charged environment affects the human mind adversely and man becomes Tama-oriented. Hence we must impress the ill-effects of crackers upon the young minds and stop them from bursting crackers.
See Also: Resist busting Fire Crackers
Do you have Mobile phone with video player?
If yes, you can use your mobile phone to serve Dharma. Just download the mobile video clip about mal effects of firecrakers (Time: 9.05 mins; Size: 10.1MB; Format: 3GP; Language: Marathi) and show it to the people in your family, relatives, neighbors, close friends, etc. and thus help in creating awareness. To know about clip contents view videos "Avoid Firecrackers-1 (Hindi) and Avoid Firecrackers-2 (Hindi)" (Video no. 4 and 5) from above playlist. Let us celebrate this Diwali in more blissful way.
O Hindus, we have been individually celebrating Diwali which is a symbol of prosperity, joy and contentment with so much of fervour all these years. On the fourteenth day of Hindu month of Ashwin, Shri Krushna slew the demon ‘Narakasur’ and made His subjects very happy. We, however, forget the main purpose of celebrating ‘Narak Chaturdashi’ (Diwali). Unless all unrighteousness in the society, nation and religion is not annihilated, everyone can not be happy. The unrighteous rulers, criminals, those who are only born as Hindus and those responsible for assaults on Hindu religion in various forms are guilty for the plight of nation and religion today. When righteousness ends, disaster befalls on the nation. Today our nation and religion are exactly facing such situation. Hooligans causing widespread lamentation, corrupt politicians, heretics (Dharma-Drohis) are the modern forms of ‘Narakasura’. It has become necessary to fight against these demons at all levels using lawful ways.
Therefore, today on the day of ‘Narak-Chaturdashi’ of Diwali,
let us take an oath to destroy ‘Narakasuras’ from the Kali-yuga
and pray and invoke the presence
of Sree Krushna. Bath taken after eliminating such strong demons, will be the real ‘Abhyang-Snan’ and jubilation after defeat of the demons will be the real Diwali celebration.
Diwali : We perform worship of Shri Lakshmi on the day of Lakshmi-Poojan. At the same time crackers like the Lakshmi-bar, Krushna-bar, Vishnu-bar are burst. When these crackers are burst, pictures of deities are also torn to pieces. This is a rank denigration of our most revered deities.
Video Courtesy: Sanatan Sanstha