सर्वमंगलमांगल्ये शिवे सर्वार्थसाधिके ।
शरण्ये त्र्यम्बके गौरि नारायणि नमोऽस्तुते ।।
Devi fought the demon Mahishasur for nine days, from the first to the ninth day of the Hindu almanac and finally slayed him on the ninth night. Since then, She has come to be known as ‘Mahishasurmardini’, the slayer of Mahishasur. Whenever tamasik, demoniacal and cruel people become powerful and torment the sattvik and religiously virtuous men in the world, Devi repeatedly incarnates for establishing Dharma. Navratri vrat is of this Deity.
Articles on Navratri and Vijayadashmi (Dashera)
Watch videos on Navratri
Some rituals common in puja of Devi and the underlying science
- What is importance of 'offering a sari' for the Goddess?
- Shakti Worship
- Worshipping the Goddess idol by bathing it with vermillion
- What is the science underlying the act of ‘Gondhal’ for Goddess ?
- Worshipping the Goddess on specific days
- Which specific flower should be offered to a specific Goddess?
- What is the correct method of saying arti to Goddess?
- Shri Lakshmi Rangoli designs
- Rangoli designs that attract the Shri Saraswati Principle
- Rangoli designs that attract the Shri Durgadevi Principle
Articles related Shakti
- Frequently Asked Questions on Kuladev and Kuldevi
- Seats of Shakti (Shakti-peeth)
- Shakti associated with Shiva – Parvati
- Shakti associated with Shrivishnu – Shri Lakshmi
- Shaktis associated with Deity Brahma – Devi Shri Saraswati and...
- Shakti (Divine Energy) Origin and Meaning
- Forms of Shakti
- Why is active Divine Energy on ashtami equivalent to an...