From: HJS Protest Team Date: 08-25-2014 12:09 AM (GMT-05:00)
Subject: Complaints about your Janmashtami celebration

|| Shree ||

To whom it may concern,

We at Hindu Janajagruti Samiti have received complaints from Hindus about your temple’s Janmashtami celebration by cutting a cake with Shrikrushna’s Holy Name. Hindu Janajagruti Samiti is a registered NGO in India doing social, Dharmik (religious) and national welfare work. Samiti is active throughout the world, educating people about Hindu Dharma in a scientific way, campaigning against malpractices done under Dharmik practices and solving problems connected with the national, Dharmik and social field. For further details, please refer our website
www.HinduJagruti.org

Celebrating Janmashtami by cutting a cake is incorrect for the following reasons :

1. Cake cutting is an inauspicious act

2. Cutting a cake with Lord Krushna’s Holy Name is blatant denigration, as His Holy Name is cut, too.

3. If the cake has egg, it is a tamasik food being offered for the auspicious occasion of Janmashtami. People in the local community look up to the Hindu temple as a place for Hindu worship and Hinduism learning. By performing such acts as cutting a cake on Janmashtami day, the temple is sending out a wrong message to the local (and now via Facebook, to the global) community that it is okay for Hindus to celebrate Janmashtami by cutting a cake.

Instead the temple should perform Janmashtami related rituals as given in the Dharmashastra, such as performing pooja unto Shreekrushna, wherein His murti (idol) is placed on a swing and with devotion, it is offered many sumptuous dishes, in particular kheer (a sweet dish made from milk, sugar and rice or vermicelli) or halva/sheera (a sweet dish made from semolina, ghee and sugar). The fast of the earlier day, Shreekrushna Jayanti is also ended at midnight by partaking this prasad and then distributing it to devotees, or by partaking dahikala (a preparation from curds) the next morning of Janmashtami.

The temple can be decorated in a sattvik manner for the occasion. Kirtans can be sung, bells rung, the conch blown, and Sanskrit hymns recited in praise of Shrikrushna. At Mathura (a city in North India, near the birthplace of Shrikrushna), special spiritual gatherings are organized at this time. Pilgrims from all over India attend these festive gatherings.

Learn more at : http://www.sanatan.org/en/a/40_gokulashtami.html

Considering the denigration caused by celebrating Janmashtami by cutting a cake, we hope that you will rectify this for the future.

Sincerely,
Hindu Janajagruti Samiti
www.HinduJagruti.org

Reply from Swamiji