Thane : Hindu Janajagruti Samiti (HJS) undertook drive to create awareness towards celebration of Ganesh festival in ideal manner and as per Hindu Dharma and culture, preventing malpractices. As a part of this drive, on the day of Anant Chaturdashi, HJS activists explained the benefits of immersion of Ganesh idols in flowing water. The drive was undertaken at various places viz. Upavan Talao area in Thane and near Trupti Hotel outside railway station at Dombivali (west). HJS activists displayed banners and distributed handbills on the topic explaining benefits of immersion of idols in flowing water. Response received from devotees for the drive was quite encouraging. 40 activists each participated in the drive at Thane and Dombivali respectively.
Experiences during drive
1. After explaining the science, 6 Ganesh idols brought by individual citizens were immersed in flowing water.
2. A person said that immersion would be done in flowing water even in next year for preservation of Dharma.
3. Few people said, “Had we known it before, we wouldn’t have come here for sure.”
4. One person was reading matter written on all placards and bowing to all HJS activists.
5. One citizen said that lack of Dharmashikshan, misleading information given by intellectuals and propaganda against science was taking people to artificial water tanks for immersion.
A big Ganesh idol of one of the Ganesh festival committees in Dombivali was to be immersed on the following day of Anant Chaturdashi since there was ban on playing DJ. (Immersion of idols on Anant Chaturdashi is important as per ‘Dharma-shaastra’. This example shows grave need for imparting ‘Dharmashikshan’ to people. – Editor) HJS activists explained the science about immersion to this festival committee after which an office bearer of the committee informed that idol worshipped during festival would be immersed on the day of Anant Chaturdashi.