From: “HJS Appeals” <[email protected]>
Sent: Thursday, May 5, 2016 6:09am
To: [email protected], [email protected]

Subject: Request you to remove the ‘Om’ symbol from the floor of your store entrance

Namaskar,

We at Hindu Janajagruti Samiti have received several complaints from devout Hindus regarding the picture of the Hindu revered symbol, ‘Om’ imprinted on the floor at the entrance of OM Gallery in Santa Cruz. (Ref: OM Gallery,

Facebook : https://www.facebook.com/OmGallery/photos/pb.139613417574.2207520000.1460523426./10152897240742575/?type=3&theater.

Link: https://www.facebook.com/OmGallery/photos/pb.139613417574.2207520000.1460523426./10152897240742575/?type=3&theater

In Hinduism, ‘Om’ is the most primordial spiritual symbol. It refers to *Atman* (soul) and *Brahman* (divinity). The syllable is often found at the beginning and the end of the chapters in the Hindu Holy Scriptures and it is a sacred spiritual incantation made before and during the recitation of spiritual texts, during *puja* (ritualistic worship) and prayers, in ceremonies such as weddings, and even performing spiritual practice such as Yoga. ‘Sadly, using the Hindu sacred symbol on the floor as decorative artwork has hurt the religious sentiments of Hindus and insulted Hinduism. We are also concerned that you have used Hinduism’s Om and not other religions’ symbols like a cross or a star and moon!

Whenever a divine symbol like Om is used on any item such as T-shirt, mug, pendant or on the floor, the Divine Energy of the respective symbol is also present in it. However, when such items are used in a degrading way such as on the floor as a decorative design where many people walk over it with shoes, the sanctity of ‘Om’ will not be maintained and preserved. Hindus treat their divine symbols with utmost respect. Thus, having sacred symbols in inappropriate places is denigrating Hinduism and hurting the feelings of millions of Hindus across the world.

We urge you to consider the above points and remove the ‘Om’ symbol from the floor of your store entrance immediately.

We stress that our aim in bringing up these points is to educate and ensure that Hinduism gets accurately represented in society because Hinduism is misrepresented at many levels from the level of school textbooks to popular media.

Hindu Janajagruti Samiti is a registered NGO engaged in social, religious and National welfare work. We have undertaken many successful online and offline campaigns related to the denigration of Hinduism. For further details, please refer to our website www.HinduJagruti.org.

We hope you will understand our concern and take immediate action as we have requested above.

Awaiting your prompt action and reply.

Sincerely,
Sagar Chopdar,
Hindu Janajagruti Samiti