- Is the Government sheltering the 64 Educational Institutions of Maharashtra who stole scholarship money by showing bogus students from backward communities on the register ?
- This scam was exposed by the Special Investigation Team; but the report was not published for 4 years due to political pressure.
Mumbai : The Central government allocates funds to be distributed as scholarships to students from backward communities after completion of their secondary education. However, 64 education institutions of Maharashtra were found to have introduced bogus names in their registers and ‘disbursed’ scholarships to the tune of Rs. 1826 Crores to these non existent students. This scam was exposed in 2017. A Special Investigation Team was also appointed to look into the scam, 6 years have passed without any action. Adv Virendra Ichalkaranjikar , National President, Hindu Vidhidnya Parishad has written a letter to the Secretary of Department of Social Justice and Empowerment enquiring as to why there has been a delay in registering any crime against these institutions.
1. After having realised that no action was being taken against this scam despite the appointment of the Special Investigation Team (SIT), in 2020 Adv Virendra Ichalkaranjikar sought information under RTI.
2. He received the answer that the investigation is going on; but no action appeared to have been taken against those involved; hence Adv Ichalkranjikar sent a letter to the Secretary, Department of Social Justice and Empowerment.
3. While strongly questioning whether there are instructions to ‘keep quiet’, Adv Ichalkranjikar has demanded that the case be handled by the Economic Offences wing. If no action is taken then Adv Ichalkranjikar has warned of putting up a legal fight.
Attempt to cover up the corruption by recovering the embezzled funds
Office of Social Welfare Commissioner is engaged in recovering the embezzled funds since last 5 years. Out of the Rs 1826 crores 87 lakhs embezzled, 96 crores 16 lakhs have been recovered. Social Welfare Department sends reminders to the Social Welfare Commissioner every month; but from the inquiry made by the representative of Dainik Sanatan Prabhat, it is clear that the Commisioner’s office has not been forthcoming with the information with regard to the amount recovered.
Why did Dhananjay Munde, Minister for Social Justice stop the enquiry ?
During the Coalition Government in 2017 the then Minister for Social Justice Rajkumar Badole had set up an SIT to investigate the scams. During the Mahavikas Aghadi tenure, the SIT submitted the report to Dhananjay Munde when he was the Minister for Social Justice. Names of the guilty are also mentioned in that report along with the embezzled amount. As per the information received by the representative of Dainik Sanatan Prabhat, the Department of Social Justice had sent a letter to Minister Dhananjay Munde in 2019 seeking order to act against the guilty in this case. This action is being held up for the last 4 years. Hence the question arises, who pressurised Dhananjay Munde?
Now the public is eager to know whether the newly formed Government will take any action against these institutions and people who stole the scholarship money of students ?
Officials in the Department of Social Justice and Empowerment and Office of Social Welfare Commissioner suppressing the scam? – Adv Virendra Ichalkaranjikar
When the question was raised in the Legislative Council in 2017, the then Minster for Social Justice had admitted to the scam. However, even after 6 years no action has been taken on those who embezzled scholarship money of students of backward community. Are the Department of Social Justice or Social Welfare Commissioner’s office hand in glove in suppressing this scam? Why are the recovery officers satisfied with whatever little they have recovered ? Or have they been ‘asked’ to keep silent ? This is a grave issue. The accused must be named and cases must be registered against them for embezzling funds. Those who are working behind the curtains to stall this investigation must also be brought to justice.