Sticking to his stand on minorities, Congress leader Salman Khurshid has said he would ensure the rights of Pasmanda Muslim community even if the Election Commission “hangs” him.
Addressing an election rally in Khatakpur locality on Friday night, the Law Minister said that EC had censured him, but even if the “Commission hangs him or does anything else”, he would ensure that people of Pasmanda community get their rights.
“Can’t I even say that Pasmanda Muslims would get their due?” he said, adding that Congress was set to hoist the tricolour in the state Assembly after 22 years.
The Commission had censured Mr. Khurshid for his remarks on sub-quota for minorities, finding them to be a violation of the model code of conduct for elections.
Mr. Khurshid, while campaigning for his wife Louise, a Congress candidate from Farrukhabad Assembly constituency in Uttar Pradesh, had promised the electorate last month that the party would increase the sub-quota for minorities to nine per cent, out of the 27 per cent Other Backward Classes (OBC) reservation.
The EC order had come on BJP’s complaint about Mr. Khurshid’s remarks, asking the Commission to take action against him for violation of model code of conduct.
Source : The Hindu
Related TagsAppeasement of MinoritiesFanatics
- Fanatics resort to violence while opposing to a loudspeaker fitted on a temple at Bareilly
- Pasha, main accused in RSS worker’s murder targeted Hindu outfits
- Join me in Islamic State land, Kerala runaway jihadi urges his family
- Telangana to mirror Tamilnadu in giving 12 % quota to Muslims
- Jihadis hurled crude bomb on pilgrims to dismantle Buddha Amarnath Yatra