Sindhudurg : There is increase in wrong practices in following the tradition of ‘Narakasura-dahan’ and holding competition of making effigies of Narakasura in villages and cities. ‘Narak – Chaturdashi’ is celebrated for victory of righteous attitude over evil tendencies. Bhagavan Shrikrushna protected devotees by slaying demon Narakasura who used to harass them; but it is observed that Narakasura is being glorified these days. Spending more time with Narakasura inculcates wrong ‘sanskars’ in youth. Hindu Janajagruti Samiti (HJS) therefore, took out a procession of picture-frame of Bhagavan Shrikrushna at Andurle and Kudal in the district so as to avoid increasing influence of Narakasura and so that people should keep ideal of Bhagavan Shrikrushna before them; getting spiritual benefits out of Deepavali festival. Devout Hindus spontaneously participated in the drive.
Sadguru Satyavan Kadam performed ‘puja’ of picture-frame of Bhagavan Shrikrushna at Shri Gavaldev temple and the procession was started after breaking of coconut. The procession went around Kudal town and concluded near Kudal post office on Sindhudurg Raja ground. Shri. Daivesh Redkar of HJS explained the purpose of taking out such procession to the participants; besides explaining the present condition of nation and Dharma.
More than 300 devout Hindus including members of Gangorai Warkari Sampradaya, Shri Dev Bhom Prasadik Bhajan Mandal, Andurle; Shri Sai Hanuman Bhajan Mandal, Walaval and Shri Kuldevata Prasadik Bhajan Mandal, Nerurpar etc. Sou. Shivani Redkar did compeering of the program.
The procession of Shrikrushna’s picture started from Kapdoswadi at Gramdevata Shri Andurlai Devi temple. ‘Sarpanch’ Sou. Puja Sarvekar of Andurle said that everyone should participate in such programs in large number, keeping own caste-creed and party aside because right direction is given in such programs against perverted practices followed in society, like Narakasura.
Shri. Sanjay Vengurlekar, former Chairman of ‘Panchayat Samiti’ said, “Procession is taken out on the eve of ‘Narak Chaturdashi’ every year when effigies of Narakasura are seen at some places on the route. This year, however, procession was taken out one day prior (4thNovember); therefore, effigies of Narakasura were not seen en route. It will be good if every year, procession is taken out one day earlier.” About 65 devout Hindus including Gram-Panchayat members and local eminent personalities participated in the procession. It was concluded with recitation of Sadguru’s ‘shloka’ at Shri Devi Andurlai temple.
1. A policeman – Your programs don’t need patrolling since all programs are always held in disciplined manner.
2. People were video-recording procession when it was going through main market area of the town.
3. One organizer of ‘Narakasura Pratima-dahan (burning effigy of Narakasura)’ program from Kudal – Procession is taken out in disciplined manner and felt good to look at it.
4. There was a float in the procession with child-seekers dressed as ‘Gopa-gopis’ holding sticks under Govardhan mountain while Shrikrushna shown as holding the mountain on his little finger. It attracted lot of attention of everyone.
1. There were clouds in the sky at the time of procession. It rained heavily in nearby areas but it was very light drizzle around the vehicle which carried picture-frame of Shrikrushna.
2. Many local residents performed ‘puja’ of Shrikrushna’s picture on route of the procession and even joined the procession.