Bangalore school scraps Chinese New Year fest

Congratulations to alert and patriotic parents for cancellation of an event glorifying China ! – Editor, Hindujagruti

Bangalore : The strain of the India-China border standoff in the Sikkim sector is being felt 3,000km down south with a school in Bangalore being forced to call off its Chinese New Year celebrations because of objections by sections of guardians.

Delhi Public School Bangalore North had on August 3 sent out circulars to guardians of Class I students informing them about Chinese New Year celebrations on August 11.

The guardians had been asked to send decorative materials and Chinese food with their children, who were to be dressed in Chinese attire for the symbolic commemoration of the Chinese New Year that falls in January or February every year.

However, several guardians objected to the idea, citing the border stand-off between India and China over the disputed Doklam plateau at the two countries’ tri-junction with Bhutan. They brought the school’s plans to the notice of the district education department.

Caught in the unusual situation of having to intervene in a school programme, Bangalore North education officer Narayan Das contacted the DPS principal and requested her to scrap the event in view of the prevailing “anti-China sentiments”.

“Under the circumstances, we thought it best to cancel the event. The school was cooperative and immediately called it off,” Das told The Telegraph today.

According to the school circular, the guardians were supposed to send glitter tubes, decorative stickers, A4 size red sheets of paper and glue sticks for their children to prepare decorative items.

As part of the “food festival” on the day, the guardians had been asked to send Chinese food items such as noodles, momos and fried rice in the children’s lunchboxes. The children were also required to attend school in traditional Chinese attire or at least red-coloured clothes.

“The school conducts similar programmes to mark the new years of other countries such as France and Germany as part of its activities for students. But we suggested that the Chinese event be scrapped,” Das said.

School principal Manju Balasubramaniam could not be contacted as she was busy in meetings. A school official confirmed that the event had been cancelled and the children informed.

“It was part of extra-curricular activities where children are introduced to the culture, dresses, food and other aspects of other countries. We had planned to celebrate the Chinese New Year months before the Doklam stand-off began,” said the official, who cannot be named as she is not authorised to speak to the media.

Source : Telegraph

Related Tags

National

Notice : The source URLs cited in the news/article might be only valid on the date the news/article was published. Most of them may become invalid from a day to a few months later. When a URL fails to work, you may go to the top level of the sources website and search for the news/article.

Disclaimer : The news/article published are collected from various sources and responsibility of news/article lies solely on the source itself. Hindu Janajagruti Samiti (HJS) or its website is not in anyway connected nor it is responsible for the news/article content presented here. ​Opinions expressed in this article are the authors personal opinions. Information, facts or opinions shared by the Author do not reflect the views of HJS and HJS is not responsible or liable for the same. The Author is responsible for accuracy, completeness, suitability and validity of any information in this article. ​