If the Deity’s puja (ritualistic worship) has already been performed in the house, then after having a bath stand in front of God’s room and offer turmeric, vermilion and flowers to the Deity. Wave an incense stick in front of the Deity. If the Deity’s puja has not been done, then after taking permission from your parents, you yourself can perform puja of the Deity.
Offer Salutation to Shri Ganesh
After performing puja, offer salutation to Shri Ganesh. Do Namaskar and say the following shlok :
वक्रतुण्ड महाकाय कोटिसूर्यसमप्रभ ।
Meaning : The Lord with the curved trunk and a mighty body, who has the radiance of a million suns, I pray you, to remove the obstacles from all the actions I intend to take.
1. O God, help me in doing good deeds and keep me away from all bad things.
2. O Kuladevi, let your Name always be there in my mind.
3. O Shriram, teach me how to respect all great and elderly people.
4. O Shrikrushna, help me develop love for my Nation and Dharma.
Offer Namaskar to God
Offer Sashṭang Namaskar (Paying obeisance by prostrating) to your Kuladevata or Upasyadevata (Deity of worship) and to all other Deities. If Sashtang Namaskar is not possible, do Namaskar by folding your hands.
Chanting the Deity’s Name
1. At the end, chant the Name of the deity for at least 10 minutes.
2. You must be wondering, ‘Which Deity’s Name should I chant’ ?
Chhatrapati Shivaji Maharaj, as you know, was a worshipper of Deity Bhavanidevi. Through her grace, he could build ‘Hindavi Swaraj’. Children, compared to other Deities, our Kuldevata responds to our call immediately. That is why one should worship the Kuladevata and chant His / Her Name.
3. If the Kuladevata is of feminine gender i.e. Kuladevi, then the chant is as follows:
First say ‘Shri’, followed by the name of Kuladevi and then end with ‘devyai namaha’. If the the Kuladevata is of masculine gender, i.e. Kuladev, then the chant is as follows :
First say ‘Shri’, followed by the name of Kuladev, like ‘Ganeshay’ or ‘Maheshay’ and then end with ‘Namaha’. Now let us see some examples to understand this –
A. If the Kuladevata is ‘Amba Ma’, then chant ‘Shri Ambadevyai namaha’.
B. If the Kuladevata is Shri Ganesh then chant ‘Shri Ganeshay namaha’.
C. If Kuldevata is not known, then chant the Name of the Upasyadevata.
D. During the day, try to chant Deity’s Name as often as possible.
E. At twilight do this :
1. Say the shlok ‘Shubham karoti’ : At twilight, wash your hands, feet and face, light a lamp and say the following shlok :
शुभं करोति कल्याणम् आरोग्यं धनसंपदाम्।
Meaning : Salutation to the light of the lamp, which brings auspiciousness, health, prosperity and destroys inimical feelings.
2. Recite Stotras : Recite some stotras, like ‘Shriramraksha stotra’ or ‘Maruti stotra’.