Phalgun Krushna Pratipada, Kaliyug Varsha 5111
Communal violence rocked Shimoga which is Karnataka chief minister B S Yedyurappa’s constituency after a newspaper published an article authored by Tasleema Nasreen regarding the purdah system.
One person was killed at Shimoga after the police opened fire to quell a mob which was protesting against the Bangladeshi author. Rioters resorted to violence on Monday after by setting ablaze several vehicles. They also pelted stones thus forcing the shut down of the entire town. The violence even spread to neighboruing Hassan which is still gripped by communal tension. Hassan is former PM Deve Gowda’s constituency.
When reports last came in the situation in the two places was still tense. Curfew has been imposed in Shimoga while prohibitory orders are in place in Hassan. Security has been beefed up in the entire state as a precautionary measure.
A verrnacular daily had translated a write up by Taslima Nasreen regarding the purdah system. Some persons had opposed the article and resorted to violence.
- Maharashtra CM promises to look into problems related to Pandharpur !
- Evangelical Nuisance Extended to Wildlife as well – Serrated Cross Plantation in Forests
- So-called priests attired in T-shirts and jeans pants perform ‘pinda-daan’ at Godavari ghaat !
- Nasik : Sanatan Bharatiya Sanskruti Sanstha and HJS take out huge procession for ‘Gurupournima’
- Protest Appeal on misuse of Hindu Mantra and denigration of Deity Datta