From: Forum for Hindu Awakening
Date: Tue, Aug 11, 2015 at 11:10 PM
Subject: Complaints from devout Hindus regarding a Hindi comedy titled ‘Kishan Vs Kanhaiya’
To: [email protected]

Namaskar,

We at Forum for Hindu Awakening (FHA) have received several complaints from devout Hindus regarding a Hindi comedy titled ‘Kishan Vs Kanhaiya’ directed by Umesh Shukla, which is going to be performed on 22nd  Aug 2015 in New Jersey,  23rd Aug 2015 in New York and on  30th Aug 2015 in Atlanta GA.

Forum for Hindu Awakening (FHA) is a nonprofit organization that strives to awaken society to the unique spiritual science behind Hindu Dharma concepts and practices, to motivate people to live and preserve them, and to facilitate the spiritual progress of humanity. One of the ways we do this is by addressing misrepresentations of Hinduism and campaigning against malpractices done in the name of Hindu Dharma. For further details please refer to our website http://forumforhinduawakening.org/

We have reviewed the trailers of the above mentioned play at YouTube and Times of India and would like to bring to your attention how this play is making a mockery of the sacred Hindu chants (i.e. ‘Ganapati Bappa Moraya’), and denigrating the highly revered Hindu Deity Shrikrushna.

The play ‘Kishan Vs Kanhaiya’ ridicules the religious sentiments of Hindus and despicably denigrates and trivializes Hindu Deities for the sake of entertainment.

In this Play, Actor Paresh Rawal plays the role of Kishan- a conman and antique dealer, is an atheist married to a very religious woman. There is always an argument about religion in the house. Suddenly, a dramatic event occurs in his life which incurs huge losses when his antique shop is destroyed by an earthquake which changes his outlook and leads him to question the very existence of God or ”Kanhaiya”.

Some objections in the denigrating play:

  1. Making fun of Deity Shrikrushna: Forum for Hindu Awakening’ strongly believes that the very theme of this play is flawed as it denigrates Hindu deities by humanizing them. There are dialogues which try to humanize Deity Shrikrushna, like ‘yadi bhagwan hota to tujhe gori nahi bana deta’ (Paresh Rawal says to his wife), after eating Naivaidya (holy sacrament) Paresh Raval says ‘upar 16108 biviyan hai unki, tere hath ka khayenge to upar maar khani padengi unko’ (Shrikrushna), He calls insurance company when they did not listen he says ‘aisi murali bajaunga Kanhaiya ki gopiyon ki tarah nachane lagenge sale’, and there are many more.
  1. Making fun of Hindu rituals: Eg. Karava Chouth, Ganpati rally
  1. Mockery of the sacred Hindu mantras: ‘Ganapati Bappa Moraya’ (in the form of Ganpati Bappa Ding Dong)

Even though the character of Paresh Rawal, is depicted as an atheist, it does not give the right to trivialize Hindu Deities. The dialogues related to Deity Shrikrushna make fun of highly revered Hindu Deities and people will think and consider they can also start saying like this in their routine. Making fun of Deities to entertain society is a sin which will increase your destiny.

There is spiritual significance for singing the name of a Deity. The spiritual emotion associated with it helps a seeker to progress spiritually. By using them as in the trailer of your play (‘Ganpati Bappa Ding Dong’), not only hurts the sentiments of Hindus but it will also set a wrong example for others and society will be deprived from knowing the importance and significance of it.

In Hinduism, every ritual has Shaastra (science) behind it. Karva Chauth is an important annual religious festival observed by married Hindu ladies. Like all other fasts, this fast too has at its heart a spiritual significance. Spirituality, in one way or the other, courses through each and every part of our nation. Our festivals, rituals, fasts, etc. were all conceived with the inherent purpose of self-upliftment and as an onward step towards self and God-realization.

Considering this play will be staged in US, it can create incorrect impressions about Hindu Deities in the minds of those who do not know much about Hinduism. Thus, they may develop an incorrect understanding about Hinduism.

We urge you to consider the above points and stop the staging of this denigrating play which has been scheduled in USA and anywhere in the world to avoid denigration of Hindu Deities and maintain sanctity of Hindu chants and traditions. Hinduism has a lot to offer the modern world and we want children and adults alike to be able to understand and study it without being misrepresented. You can take one positive step towards ensuring that Hinduism does not get disrespected.

Awaiting your prompt action and reply.

Sincerely,
Forum for Hindu Awakening

Source : Forum For Hindu Awakening

Notice : The source URLs cited in the news/article might be only valid on the date the news/article was published. Most of them may become invalid from a day to a few months later. When a URL fails to work, you may go to the top level of the sources website and search for the news/article.

Disclaimer : The news/article published are collected from various sources and responsibility of news/article lies solely on the source itself. Hindu Janajagruti Samiti (HJS) or its website is not in anyway connected nor it is responsible for the news/article content presented here. ​Opinions expressed in this article are the authors personal opinions. Information, facts or opinions shared by the Author do not reflect the views of HJS and HJS is not responsible or liable for the same. The Author is responsible for accuracy, completeness, suitability and validity of any information in this article. ​

JOIN