Appeal against the denigration of Deity Hanuman and Deity Vishnu by The Economic Times

The Economic Times is an English-language, Indian daily newspaper published by the Bennett, Coleman & Co. Ltd. first published in 1961. It has depicted caricatures of Deity Hanuman on the cross and Deity Vishnu rudely making a political statement, in cartoons published in their March 17, 2015 issue.

Alert Hindus notified Hindu Janajagruti Samiti (HJS) regarding this denigration of Deity Hanuman and Deity Vishnu. Accordingly, when Hindu Janajagruti Samiti wrote to The Economic Times, they sent a reply justifying how it is not denigration instead of rendering a public apology. The Samiti made a second appeal to them but there has been no response from them. (The letter explaining the denigration is published ahead on this page.)

Reference 1:
http://epaperbeta.timesofindia.com/NasData//PUBLICATIONS/THEECONOMICTIMES/BANGALORE/2015/03/17/PagePrint/17_03_2015_004_4db298d13a91e6bcdb6ec09c2f9fadc2.pdf

hanuman

Reference 2:

http://epaperbeta.timesofindia.com/NasData//PUBLICATIONS/THEECONOMICTIMES/BANGALORE/2015/03/16/PagePrint/16_03_2015_003_2ca8d0798949dd3da1a21e3b0f5f5b16.pdf

vishnu

It is incorrect to publish such cartoons on political issues portraying a Deity in a disrespectful manner for commercial purposes. Portraying political figures or Hindu Deities correlate with other religion in this manner amounts to trivialization of the Deities.

We now request you to appeal lawfully and peacefully to stop this denigration. We also suggest you write to the publication team of The Economic Times, requesting them to stop this denigration.

Below are the email ids of the
publication team of The Economic Times:

[email protected],
[email protected]

Please see below the prior correspondence between HJS and The Editor of the Economic Times