With the initiative of Jagatguru Narendracharyaji Maharaj, it has been decided to close down the shops of liquor on permanent basis in a meeting of the Gram-sabha held in Nanij. Since the past few years, illicit liquor shops had flourished there which was the cause of fights in the village and the women-folk was very much agitated. Women also took out a protest march on the police station. Members of the gram-panchayat held a meeting to pass a resolution in favour of prohibition on alcohol. Out of 1714 voters, 969 voted for prohibition. Later the district collector passed an order of prohibition on alcohol.
- Government announces concessions for refugees from Pakistan, Afghanistan
- Goa Governor adopts cow for daily worship
- Temple in Kerala Guarded by Devotee Crocodile for Hundreds of Years
- Kolhapur (Maharashtra) : Activists of Hindu Ekata Andolan foil bid to popularize liquor brand in a college !
- Govt decision to drop German as 3rd language comes under SC scanner