From: HJS Protest Team <[email protected]>
Date: Mon, Sep 22, 2014 at 10:32 PM
Subject: Complaints regarding clothing items and other products on your website
To: [email protected]

Namaskar dear Mausmi Mehta, Matt Wells and Camille Harris,

We at Hindu Janajagruti Samiti have received complaints from Hindus regarding some items sold through your website. For example: http://religions7.hubpages.com/hub/valentines-day-spiritual-religious-gifts-hindu-men- or http://religions7.hubpages.com/hub/hindu-gifts.
Hindu Janajagruti Samiti is a registered NGO in India doing social, Hindu Dharma related and national welfare work. The Samiti is also active throughout the world, educating people about Hindu Dharma in a scientific way, campaigning against malpractices done as Hindu Dharma related practices and solving problems related to misrepresentation of Hindu Dharma. For further details please refer to our website www.HinduJagruti.org.

We are sending this letter to you to inform you about some of the items sold through your website. These were brought to our attention by concerned Hindus. You may not be aware of this but amongst the items that are being sold through your website there are items that are causing a denigration of Hinduism. We have approached Ms. Katinka Hesselink, who writes under the name “religions7” on Hubpages, regarding this but have not received any response from her.

1. A denigration is happening through having images of revered Deities and Hindu symbols on T-shirts, various clothing items and posters being sold through your website. T-shirts and clothing items with images of the most revered Hindu Deity Lord Ganesh are being sold through your webpages. There are also items with the most sacred Hindu symbol “Om” on them. The clothes will be washed in a washing machine with other soiled clothes. When a T-shirt or poster is no longer used, it will be thrown into the trash. Thus the sanctity of the Deities and symbols will not be maintained. As per Hinduism, Deities are eternal principles of God that carry out different functions in the universe. Hindus treat their religious symbols, chants and Deities with utmost respect. Deities are adorned on an altar to worship and offer prayers, thus having Their images anywhere else like on T-shirts and other clothing items is denigrating Hinduism and hurting feelings of billions of Hindus across the world.

2. Also through your webpages many items are sold that misrepresent the form of a Deity. For example, earrings with only the head of Lord Ganesh on them or stylized, modern representations of Deities in the form of idols, posters, calendars, etc. Such depictions are a denigration of Hinduism and hurt the sentiments of many. As per Hinduism, every Deity is associated with Its specific sound, word, touch, form, taste, smell and energy. To depict a Deity in a form through a picture or idol, there are specific rules to be followed as per Holy Hindu scriptures. Not conforming to which leads to denigration and loss of Divine Consciousness from the picture, leading to a grave sin.

We urge you to consider the above points and remove all the pages that have such Hinduism related products from your website. We stress that our aim in bringing up these points is to educate and ensure that Hinduism gets accurately represented to society. Hinduism has been misrepresented at many levels. Though it is an ancient tradition, Hinduism has a lot to offer the modern world and we want children and adults alike to be able to understand and study it without it being misrepresented. You can take one step towards ensuring that Hinduism does not get misrepresented by removing the pages that have T-shirts and other items with Hinduism related designs as mentioned above.

Sincerely,
Hindu Janajagruti Samiti