February 28, 2006
Last Paragraph -
Professor Shyam Manav, president, Akhil Bharatiya Andhshraddha Nirmulan Samiti (ABANS), a major force behind the Bill, said that the protests did not matter since the Bill had already been passed by the Lower House.
“A quick look at all those who are against the Bill will show that they are groups and wings run by some babas and saints, who are aware their activities will be now under scanner. It is a question of their existence. No established Hindu organisations like the RSS, Shiv Sena or even the BJP is against the Bill,” he said. Manav refuted the charges that the Bill gave extra powers to the police. “Under IPC, if anyone is obstructing the work of cops, he can be punished. We have made a comprehensive Bill to weed out crimes against people due to superstition,” he said.
To, 28th Feb, 2006.
Hon. Editor / Smita Deshmukh
Subject: Regarding Shyam Manav’s False statement (news published in DNA 27 February 2006, Page 7: Religious groups fear ‘black magic’ of police)
I would like to thank you for publishing the news and creating awareness about controversial “Black Magic” Bill. (27 February 2006, Page 7: Religious groups fear ‘black magic’ of police)
In the story Professor Shyam Manav, president, Akhil Bharatiya Andhshraddha Nirmulan Samiti (ABANS) had expressed his views and made some allegations about the protests that being held all over Maharashtra. Being a noted media and a publication with huge number of readers, we are forced to clarify the allegations raised against us.
Who have opposed the bill?
Prof. Manav had claimed that the bill is not being opposed by established Hindu organisations like the RSS, Shiv Sena or BJP. We would like to put forward few facts here.
1. Shri. Balasaheb Thackeray and Shri. Uddhav Thackeray of ShivSena had opposed the bill from very beginning. On 26 November 2005 Shri. Uddhav Thackeray had declared that they will continue to oppose this bill and in accordance with that all MLA of ShivSena opposed the bill on 14 and 15 December 2005 in lower house.
2. VHP and RSS had also taken part in demonstrations along with HJS at various places. Shri. Praveen Togadia, highest leader of VHP clarified that they are against this bill in a public speech in front of mass crowd, at Vishwa Hindu Sammelan, at Pandharpur on 4 December 2005.
3. BJP had also strongly condemned the policies of government to give power to police to deal with issues related to faith. Shri. Devendra Phadanvis and other MLA have raised strong objections over the bill during the discussion in lower house in winter session.
4. On the same issue Mr. Ramdas Kadam, Opposition Leader & M.L.A. of Shivsena gave his statement in Loksatta, a marathi daily on 22nd Feb. 2006, which was very recent, that we are preparing for opposing said Bill & uniting all opposition party’s for this purpose.
All these facts published in Newspapers & we have copy of it. This definitely clarifies how cunningly Prof. Manav passed the false statement.
What is that law and who will be impacted?
The provisions of Law can lead to following things –
1. Law in item 2 of the supplement (A) states – Miracles as “So-called miracles”. All the miracles are called “so-called” so there is no scope for the true miracles, which are vital parts of all the religions. Also on which Religions like Christianity is based. Why Mother Teresa has afforded Sainthood, after confirming 3 miracles. If all miracles are “so called” then remove Her sainthood, in fact everyone’s.
2. Prof. Manav says that “Law will weed out crimes against people due to superstition” But interestingly Bill does not clarify the difference between Faith and Blind Faith i.e. superstition. So implementation of the law will be entirely dependent upon the police officer who will be implementing it.
3. Miracles can not be tested by science and there are no specific rules to prove the fairness of miracles. So how government is going to implement the law is a real question. We are afraid that there is a great threat that this law can pose itself as an anti-faith weapon.
Considering these facts, we are sure that all the people of all faiths and spiritual organizations representing them are on the target of this law. So the protests being held are to protect the public interest and faiths of people at large.
I hope that we have clarified our stand regarding the allegations. We request you to give due publicity to this and help this noble cause. Expecting your co-operation,
Hindu Janjagruti Samiti
Mob - 9322652711
The source URLs cited in the article might be only valid on the date the article was published. Most of them may become invalid from a day to a few months later. When a URL fails to work, you may go to the top level of the source's website and search for the article.
The news published are collected from various sources and responsibility of news lies solely on the source itself. Hindu Janajagruti Samiti or its website is not in anyway connected nor is it responsible for the news content presented here.